Re: [Question #136260]: clustered view with a different file retention policy

chrismd proposed the following answer:
In general I usually send my data to a central processing app before
forwarding it on to graphite exactly because I like to calculate
aggregate metrics in addition to the per-server metrics. Doing
sumSeries() on a large set of metrics will be much slower than using a
pre-calculated aggregate metric.

Doing a cron job to pull the per-server metrics and then compute and
store an aggregate will certainly work but it will be less real-time
than the per-server metrics. It will also put an additional strain on
Graphite to read all of your per-server metrics repeatedly to compute
the aggregates. Whether this is acceptable or not depends on your
requirements/resources, it is probably the easiest solution though.

If you want to calculate the aggregate metrics in real-time but don't
want to implement a big scalable processing app yourself then I have
another idea that might work for you. I've recently been toying around
with an incredibly awesome app called Redis
(http://code.google.com/p/redis/). It is like memcached except it
supports real datastructures instead of just key=value pairs. Here's
what you could do...

Have your clients send their metrics to carbon directly so you get your
per-server metrics. But also have them push some of the metrics into
redis, it will serve as an aggregation buffer, then you could have a
simple cron job pull the big pile of metrics out of redis and compute
the aggregate metrics and send them into Graphite. This way you only
have to write redis clients (very simple) instead of a big scalable
server.

Say you've got web server request metrics like request-count and
response times. You could use Redi's INCR command to sum up the request
counts and Redis's LPUSH to make a list of the response times. Then your
cron job pulls these values out and resets the counters/lists, computes
the averages, etc, sends to Graphite. It would probably only be a few
dozen lines of code in all.