[Question #136529]: Can Graphite bin data points?

We typically use Graphite to record occurrence rates -- we have a script that runs once every minute and counts up how many x we've had and writes to a Graphite target X.  We can then visualize our instantaneous rate of acquisition of x/per minute by plotting the target X.  Yay!

But not everyone wants to see our x-rate broken down by the minute.  Some would like to see a plot of x binned by hour, or day, or month.

Is there a function I can apply to the target X to get it to "bin" the measurements of x in some way?  Graphite will happily do 'integral(X)' for me and that's almost but no quite what I need.  (It's really the integral over several discrete time blocks that cover the time interval of the plot -- a histogram!)

Is there a simple way to do this via the front-end Graphite application?  Or will we have to change the way in which we write data to carbon?  (I really hope not...!)

Thanks!

Dhruv Bansal
CSO, Infochimps