Contribute documentation and code

Hi Chris and dev team,

I'm in the process of migrating my 0.9.4 server to 0.9.6 (got the first dev instance of it installed and am very excited by the improvements so far) with Federated Storage, and I figured that while I'm doing it I might as well contribute back to the cause if I can. I'd be happy to add explicit documentation about Federated Storage if you' like.

There's also a chance that I'll be doing AMQP integration as well, so I could write up documentation for that, too, if desired.

I've also got a first cut of what I've been calling graphite_agent in python. Features:

1) optionally daemonized, or you can run it non-daemonized out of cron if you want
2) uses configuration files and / or CLI options
3) loads python plugins as modules and runs them automatically (uses some code from Kraig Amador to do some slick function detection)
4) runs any non-python plugin via command execution

I'm pretty excited about it, mostly because this is only my 2nd or 3rd python program (I've been a perl programmer for most of my life) and I've been really tickled how quickly I've been able to write useful code. If I can get approval from the company I work for, I'd love to contribute it and get some pointers from some python experts, as I'm sure my python is pretty perlish. I think it would be great to create a library of plugins for this; my next steps will be to create replacements for all the stats that ganglia / gmond provides out of the box, so that I can ditch our dependency on it.

Let me know how to proceed, and thank you all for graphite. It's a great program.

Pete Emerson

Follow ups