update on the new release

Hi everyone, I know I promised a new release before the end of the year but
it looks like I'm going to fall just barely short of that. I've fixed a ton
of bugs in the last few days, but there are 1 or 2 more I'd like to care of
before cutting a release. Also I need to do some more thorough testing since
many of the bug fixes are still fresh and only got some cursory testing.
Feel free to try out a checkout of trunk, there are a lot of improvements
over 0.9.6. One new dependency has been added, a python package called pytz.
I may just include pytz in the next release because its license is
permissive, not sure yet though. pytz provides a complete and up to date set
of timezone data in conjunction with me fixing the 'tz' option to allow
specifying custom timezones at render time. The x-axis labeling has also
gotten a lot of attention in the form of better label configurations and
label alignment for some situations that used to be buggy. Some new
functions have been added. The 'group' function allows you to build a set of
metrics without using a wildcard that would otherwise match too many things.
This is useful for functions that require a single argument that specifies a
collection of metrics and wildcards don't give you what you want. The
'exclude' function allows you to filter metrics out of a set with a regular
expression. The 'summarize' function lets render your data with lower
precision (ie. render hourly summaries of minutely data). The 'threshold'
function lets you put threshold lines on graphs and lets you specify a color
and legend name for it. The 'Apply Function' menus have been updated. I
still need to update the wiki docs though. Like I said, lots of random bugs
have been fixed throughout the webapp and carbon.

When I wake up later today, I may publish the release if I have enough time
but I'm guessing I won't. That pushes things out into next week because my
schedule is busy the rest of this weekend. That said, there really isn't a
lot left to do so 0.9.7 will be coming very soon. Please feel free to test
trunk and give me feedback so we can make sure 0.9.7 has a few bugs as
possible out the door.

Thanks and have a happy New Year,
Chris

Follow ups