Re: update on the new release

Hi! Great news on the impending new release.

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Chris Davis <chrismd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One new dependency has been added, a python package called pytz.
> I may just include pytz in the next release because its license is
> permissive, not sure yet though.

As an upstream application developer, I totally understand the appeal
of embedding dependencies.

As a distribution developer, I'd ask that if you bundle pytz you keep
it cleanly separated from the rest of the code so that it's possible
to strip out to comply with Debian/Ubuntu packaging policies. Pytz is
one of those packages that is likely to need frequent updates - not
because of security problems, but because of time zone rules changing
frequently around the world. Since pytz is already packaged for
Debian/Ubuntu, I think we'd want to make the graphite package depend
on the distro version of pytz. I don't think this should stop you from
bundling pytz if that makes things

I should give an update on my very slow packaging work for Graphite in
Ubuntu/Debian. As I see things there are three packages to do:
whisper, graphite, and django-graphite. Only whisper has been
completed so fare, graphite was stalled while I worked on packaging of
dependencies like txAMQP (which was blocked on a new release to
resolve a licensing issue). The new release of txAMQP is out now, and
I should be able to get going with that package again in January. If
anyone wants to work on this, I can offer directions/guidance on what
needs to be done - my other obligations don't allow me to spend much
time on it.
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/