Re: [Question #140289]: Importing Historical Data to Graphite

Nicholas Leskiw proposed the following answer:
1) Order matters in the storage-schemas.conf file.  The first match will
be used.  If another pattern matches and is above that metric in the
conf file, it will be used instead.

2) After changing the conf file, you must restart carbon.

3) Lastly, the schema change will not affect any .wsp files that have
already been created.

Use whisper-info.py PATH/FILENAME.wsp to see what the actual retention
is for the file

Use whisper-resize.py RETENTIONRATE PATH/FILENAME.wsp  to change it.

For example, if you want a one datapoint per second for a year use:

whisper-resize.py 1:31536000
/opt/graphite/storage/whisper/my/metric/path/myMetric.wsp

One per minute for a year:

whisper-resize.py 60:525600
/opt/graphite/storage/whisper/my/metric/path/myMetric.wsp

One per hour for 10 years:

whisper-resize.py 3600:87600
/opt/graphite/storage/whisper/my/metric/path/myMetric.wsp