Re: [Question #150159]: Edge Case - Average of wrapped Counters

chrismd proposed the following answer:
Yes, when datapoints get aggregated to lower precision they are
averaged, which is sometimes what you want but not always. I originally
planned on making that configurable but never got around to it. I don't
really use whisper's aggregation functionality myself currently.

That said, I have developed a new database to replace whisper, which is
much more robust and will allow for fully configurable (programmable
actually) aggregation behavior. The new database is called Ceres, and I
just deployed it in my company's production environment last night. So
far it is working pretty well and improves performance slightly, plus
uses much less space and is not fixed-size. My plan right now is to
continue rolling out Ceres in another datacenter and gather some more
real-world data on how well it works, particularly in a multi-datacenter
cluster. I will be putting out a new release, 0.9.8 in the next couple
days but it will not include Ceres. If all goes well, I estimate about a
month until 0.9.9 is out with Ceres as the new default database (whisper
is still supported of course).