Re: [Question #152690]: Y-Axis scale changes with width and height of graph

chrismd proposed the following answer:
Actually, this is a feature believe it or not, albeit a confusing one.
What is happening is that you have graphs that contain more datapoints
than horizontal pixels, so it is impossible to fulfill the request
without reducing the set of datapoints in some way. By default, Graphite
aggregates datapoints by averaging them, this is why you'll see dimished
spikes, you're actually looking at the average of a larger interval. If
averaging doesn't make sense for some of your metrics you can tell
Graphite to aggregate them by summing instead by applying the
cumulative() function to the metrics. Or, use the summarize() function
to explicitly aggregate into windows of a chosen size.

It is definitely confusing that this happens usually without the user
being aware, and the degree of datapoint aggregation isn't made obvious
on the graph anywhere. I never really came up with a good way to
indicate this visually, but I'll think about it some more as it is a
common point of confusion.