New database branch available, version plans

I'm currently running Graphite's new database library, Ceres, in my
production environment and it seems to be working quite well. In order to
make the transition from whisper to ceres easy I've decided to adopt the
"even is stable odd is unstable" approach to versioning. The current 0.9
series will soon become 1.0 (criteria TBD) and that will remain
whisper-based. The 1.1 series will be based on Ceres and is where any
significant new functionality will be put (client-side rendering, UI
refactor, v2 url API, etc). I will probably make official 1.1.0 unstable and
1.0.0 stable releases in the next 2-3 months, with at least another 0.9
release or two before then. Once Ceres proves sufficiently reliable, 1.1
will become the next stable series, 1.2.

Release plans aside, the new Ceres database is pretty awesome compared to
whisper. It is vastly more space efficient, there is virtually no allocation
overhead for new nodes, and it is far more flexible in terms of management &
distribution of datapoints. I still need to document it (and yes, I actually
plan on doing that in the near future) but if you'd like to check it out
right now you can pull the new 1.1 series from Launchpad like so:

bzr branch lp:graphite/1.1 graphite-1.1

I do think it is production ready code, but because of the lack of
documentation I would not recommend anyone start running it in their
production environment until you've gained a fair amount of familiarity with
Ceres and the new consistent-hashing clustering feature. Docs will be
written on http://graphite.readthedocs.org/. I will send another
announcement when the docs are mostly done, probably in the next 2 weeks.

-chrismd