[Question #154372]: Creating average for 60 second network byte counter

i've been playing around with the different functions in graphite but still can't quite get what i'm looking for so i'm here to ask for help.

I have a script running on a number of linux hosts to track different stats in /proc/ including network bytes TX/RX per interface. the samples are taken every 60 seconds then sent to graphite. I use derivative() to show the delta between the samples stored (storage schema is set for 60 seconds as well) but this gives me the total bytes transfered in that 60 second period. I would like to divide the metrict by 60 (seconds) and show the result as a crude average.

Does this make sense and is this posible or do I need to add code to my script to do this?

Thanks!