Re: [Question #160053]: Should I always smooth data using movingAverage?

Nicholas Leskiw proposed the following answer:
François,

It's really up to you on smoothing the data.
movingAverage keeps the resolution of the graph - if you're collecting data every minute, movingAverage returns data for every minute.  Summarize reduces the resolution of the graph.  If you're collecting data every minute, but use summarize(metric.name,"15m") the graph only has datapoints every 15 minutes, and the TOTAL (not average) is graphed at each 15 minute interval.

compare the functions with the &rawData=true parameter to explore the
difference.

Also, please check my branch called nleskiw-docs.  I'm updating url-
api.rst and adding docstrings directly to
webapp/graphite/render/functions.py. ( I thought of putting them in url-
api but was persuaded by the maintainer to make docstrings for each
function in the code itself.