Re: [Question #170527]: carbon-cache.py grinds to a halt

cbrinley proposed the following answer:
The default carbon cache size is "infinite". You can set a limit to bound
memory utilization but it would imply dropping metrics. Probably not what
you want for this type of historical import. Carbon cache is largely IO
bound. I suspect a check of iostat/sar or similar will likely display
elevated IO_WAIT times.

The high level suggestion i would make at this point is to rate limit your
input. I am happy to help with some more concrete suggestions if you can
provide additional context:

Are you able to rate limit the sending process or generally what level of
control do you have over this process?
If your ability to modify this sending process is limited, do you have
access to extract and format the data outside of the sending process?
What are your acceptable levels of utilization of memory/CPU/IO?
Aprox how many total data points per metric do you wish to import?
Aprox how many total metrics are you attempting to import?

 regards,