Re: [Question #170794]: carbon-cache.py at its limit?

chrismd requested more information:
I think Kevin is right. How many disks are in your RAID5 array?  Is it
hardware or software raid? If the disks are highly utilized with
MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND=50, we're only talking 3k metrics per minute of
throughput. That seems a bit low, I recall getting something like 5-10k
out of my laptop a while back, but I don't recall the exact figures. The
thing that seems strange to me is that your bonnie++ output shows 358.8
seeks/sec, which would roughly correspond to 358.8 updates per second,
which implies you should be able to set MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND much
higher than 50 before maxing out the disks.

I would suggest experimenting with MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND and monitoring
your I/O utilization as it changes. Set it to 1 and verify that I/O load
is very low as a sanity check, then increment it to 10, 20, etc and see
how I/O utilization increases.