Re: [Question #170794]: carbon-cache.py at its limit?

Kevin Blackham proposed the following answer:
Raid 5 and 6 are awful for write-heavy usage. Use raid-10 and a
controller with battery so you can safely enable write-back cache. Even
six spindles in level 10 will be a decent performer.

My 50k/min setup was 12x 7200rpm in a raid-10 on LSI low-end SAS. The
next upgrade was scrapped together from what I had available, and is 24x
5400rpm raid-10 on 3ware SAS. All with BBU, write-back enabled, and
auto-verify off. 256k stripe. The write-back gives the controller time
to reorder writes more efficiently than the kernel's scheduler can.

Oh, and use kernel's deadline scheduler, not cfq.