[Question #174184]: What is using memcache by in graphite

What portions of Graphite use memcached? We are setting up a federated system, and I am trying to figure out which portions of the system should have memcached running and configured for their use.

For example, does carbon-cache use it at all, or the relays, or any of the pieces like that, or is it just the web app? When the web front is doing queries for the data to remote systems, does memcache get involved.

One the the architectures I'm considering is to have the web front end on hosts separate from the carbon-cache hosts. Is that a good idea, and if so, then do I just need memcached on the web front end hosts?