Re: [Question #176084]: Metric creation has slowed to a crawl

Scott Smith is still having a problem:
Thanks for the replies.

So, right now yes everything has the same retention. I blew away the
data on the new cluster and tried relaying only my statsd metrics, of
which I have about 19k.

My carbon-relay config was default, save the DESTINATIONS setting.

On the new carbon-caches, I had:

MAX_CACHE_SIZE = inf (this was the default)
MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND = 1000
MAX_CREATES_PER_MINUTE = 1000

After reading up on some of the other answers chris has given, I set
MAX_CACHE_SIZE to 5000000 (he suggested 10M at 24GB RAM, so I halved
it). I also dropped creates to 60, based on his assertion that having it
too high would cause buffer cache thrashing.

This hasn't seemed to help, though.

Regarding carbon-cache stats, unfortunately the data files exist but
they are not populated with data. All values are 'None'. :( This is the
case on my old cluster (running a single carbon-cache) as well, btw.