Re: [Question #177524]: can graphie scale to Ks of nodes at frequencies of seconds

chrismd posted a new comment:
Hi Mark, glad to hear you're interested in Graphite. collectl looks
pretty awesome, I'll have to check it out.

As a point of reference, the most efficient Graphite system I've worked
on can store a million datapoints per minute on a single machine using
an array of SSDs and a well-tuned backend configuration. But as Nick
mentions it can scale out as a cluster and supports sharding and
replication.

As far as the rendering functionality I agree there is an endless amount
of cool stuff we could do in terms of visualization methods,
interactivity, etc. I think the biggest win here would be to hook
together Graphite with other graphing software (like gnuplot which
supports all the standard stuff) not to mention client-side rendering to
add interactivity. We already have a client-side rendering UI based on
flot, with more experimentation on the way. Much of the development
focus for the past few years has been on the backend, with mostly
incremental improvements to the frontend. My current focus is to wrap up
some major enhancements to the backend for 0.9.10 this month, knock out
a few bugs, eat some turkey, spruce up the docs, and slap a "1.0" on it
:). Beyond that I plan to shift focus largely to the frontend. In
general I've been trying to make graphite as 'interfaceable' as
possible. The 0.9.10 release will include a new plugin API that will let
you use both carbon and the webapp with your own completely custom
database by implementing a few simple methods in a plugin subclass. Also
note that Graphite already supports multiple database backends
transparently so you don't have to put all your data in one place
(though it will be in one UI). Similarly I'd like to make the frontend
work with different graphing backends and support a variety of output
formats.