[Question #179708]: Absolute vs. Stated paths in storage.py

There seems to be an odd bit of code in webapp/graphite/storage.py (lines 288-292) that modifies the path when the absolute and relative paths do not match.

This really breaks when the path to the whisper file contains a symlink. It basically produces an odd amalgamation of the two paths that fails cache lookup and reduces the awesomeness of graphite somewhat.

What purpose does this code serve? I am trying to make a patch but I do not have a use case for when the if block triggers.

My current patch, that I operate in production, simply deletes the whole if block. That allows the cache fetch to work on symlinks.