[Question #182873]: Which version to install and how to install it?

Sorry for being dense, but when I look in the install directory I see tarballs for 0.9.9.  I also see RPMs for v0.9.7 and earlier.
The installation instructions at http://graphite.wikidot.com talks about installing tarballs
The instructions at http://graphite.wikidot.com/quickstart-guide says to read INSTALL which isn't really the same
I've found other references to installing the RPMs

Quite honestly at this point all I really want to do is get something up and running w/o worrying too much yet about optimization as my short-term goal is to try to get data into carbon so I can look at some graphs.  Once I feel comfortable with that level I figure I can then move on to doing things better.

So, I guess my questions turn into:
- which version should I install
- should I install the tarball or RPM?  remember, I'm looking for 'easy' at first pass
- if i install the RPMs, are graphite, carbon and whisper sufficient OR do I then need to install the additional tarballs?
- having gotten this far, what are the correct httpd configuration instructions to follow as there seems to be conflicts here too

-mark