[Question #187874]: send queue full / cpu @ 100%

I'm trying to run carbon-aggregator receiving ~300k points/minute on one ec2 box. First off, am I crazy?

The aggregator was running fine, and then a few days ago, the send queue filled up and it stopped being able to do much. We restarted it, and it chugged along for a few days before it started again. I'm seeing carbon-aggregator use 100% of CPU. Should I infer that it's io-bound? are there quick wins to be gotten here or do I need to think about upgrading hardware or sharding?

thanks,
--dave