Re: [Question #201163]: collectd 5.1, RRD vs Graphite graph

Michael Leinartas proposed the following answer:
Generally with collectd cpu graphs you'll first derive the counter
values to get per-time period counts, and then graph the ratio of each
cpu type to the total. Many (myself included) prefer to have the
write_graphite plugin pre-derive the COUNTER and DERIVE values before
storage since they're almost always viewed derived.. You can do this by
turning StoreRates on to true
(http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Write_Graphite)

With pre-derived values, I graph CPU like this (note I also have AlwaysAppendDS true as well)
asPercent(collectd.server1.cpu.0.cpu.*.count)
When one parameter is passed to asPercent, all of the series will be added for a total and then each will be divided by that total returning a percent. An alternate method is to just graph that wildcard in stacked mode (the y axis numbers wont be useful in that case though).