Re: [Question #201602]: Creates too slow, but I/O util is below 20%

Michael Leinartas proposed the following answer:
The creates are done by writing zeros to the new whisper files to fill
them in an effort to ensure the data is stored on disk contiguously. If
your tests are mainly concerned with handling the volume of incoming
writes, you might want to change your storage-schemas to something very
short - a day or two max. For the most accuracy, use the same precision
values you plan to use in a production setup. The smaller retentions
will allow the files to be created much faster.

Just a stab in the dark, but you could also be running into the I/O
ceiling of the medium instance type as these files are being created.
Amazon describes it as having a "moderate" I/O cap. I'd recommend
starting with an m1.large for any graphite install. That may get you to
100k/min ok. I'm a bit skeptical that a medium will perform well enough
for it.