[Question #208946]: statsd, carbon relay, and federated storage. How does carbon let statsd know if my master is down?

Hello,

I am setting up a carbon cluster with the main purpose of fail-safe.  I read the documentation about carbon-relay and federated storage, but my question is (and this might be something I need to be posting on a stated forum) this:

Assume my "master" carbon server crashes, how will statsd know to send to the data over tcp to my "slave" servers?   Is this something that is handled on the statsd end or the carbon end?  Should I just use a load balancer?  Is there a recommended methodology for this?  Perhaps these are basic questions, but I am new to graphite!

Any help or pointers in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

-Fillmore