[Question #210731]: Historical data not showing on importing the database to the latest version of Graphite

Hi,

We have been running 0.9.8 release of Graphite for our infrastructure for sometime. We have decided to switch to the latest stable release now (0.9.10), and testing it out.

I imported one of the .wsp data files from our live server to a local testing machine. I set up the same storage-schemas.conf as the one on our live Graphite server.  On configuring everything up and firing carbon-cache.py, I am getting some warning messages in console.log:

"09/10/2012 13:37:34 :: Invalid schemas found in webserver_stats: Lower precision archives must cover larger time intervals than higher precision archives (archive1: 8760 seconds, archive2: 10 seconds)"

(Please note that, we have been using the now deprecated configuration format for retentions.)

I can see a graph of the data in the .wsp file, but it does not show past data (like last one year, or last month). The graph is just blank in that case. Also, all the data files on live server are of 6.1 MB, so I am guessing that whisper keeps downsampling the past data and stores it in a fixed size file ?

The main concern for us is, if we switch to the latest version of Graphite, whether we will be able to see graphs of historical data, like last one year or two year ?

Another question is, if we switch to the now supported configuration format of retentions from the old legacy format, will that have any adverse effect on the data gathered using the old format ?

Thanks
Abhinav