[Question #211821]: Combine counters using simple arithmetic

My problem is that i have a counter which increment over the life over the app. I would like to graph the rate of change in the incremented value. So ideally I need to chart the delta of this value over time. Also i need to do a little arithmetic over a couple of delta'ed counters. To be more specific i have an incrementing counter of ' time spent querying' and one for 'number of queries' i would like to chart a time per query. Which would be something like:

  delta (number of queries, over time t)  /delta(time spent querying, over time t)

How could this be achieved?

I have considered patching carbon to add a new aggregation function of delta but that would still leave the division bit.