Re: [Question #212686]: Carbon aggregation and rewrite rules

Nicholas Leskiw proposed the following answer:
1. Yes, they can run on the same machine (on different ports, of course.)
2. You shouldn't need anything in those config files to see non-aggregated
metrics sent to aggregator / carbon-cache
3. Unfortunately tcpdump / wireshark is the only option AFAIK
4. There's a bit of info in aggregation-rules.conf.example file.
5. We'd be more than happy to accept any documentation. Thank you for
offering.

I see that you didn't specify a line receiver in carbon cache. Can you
check if it's defaulting to port 2003 and blocking aggregator from
listening on 2003?  (Give it 2023 or something.)

That would explain why you a) see something listening and b) don't see any
metrics (because they're UDP but should be TCP).  I'm not convinced that's
the issue since you see connections in the aggregator log, but it's worth a
shot.

Otherwise do a tcpdump and trace whatever's going on when you send a single
UDP message to the aggregator.

-Nick