Re: [Question #218746]: Has anyone used both Circonus and Graphite?

Jason Dixon proposed the following answer:
I'm in the fairly unique situation of being the former Product Manager
for Circonus and currently a developer/user of Graphite.

At the surface they do a similar task... trending your data. But the
similarities end there. There are so many different considerations, that
it's hard to compare the two. So I'll just rattle off some things off
the top of my head and perhaps elaborate on them if you have further
questions.

P.S. Personally I see Librato Metrics as a much closer comparison to
Graphite.

Circonus:
hosted commercial SaaS
developed as a value-added alternative to Reconnoiter (open-source trending app)
intended to be a "one-stop shop" for all of your monitoring/trending/alerting needs
push or pull metrics to the service
excellent trending and capacity planning capabilities (overlays, regressions, realtime visualizations, etc)
distributed global collection agents
alerting and notification systems
custom dashboards + widgets

Graphite:
standalone open-source project (also offered as SaaS version by http://hostedgraphite.com/)
developed by Orbitz to handle high-volume of metrics
intended as a highly scalable real-time graphing system, making it easy to store and make sense of your metrics
push metrics to the service
excellent prototyping UI
installation can be challenging to beginners
many open-source collection and alerting components are designed to interact with it
built-in basic dashboard component
large ecosystem of open-source dashboard projects that support it