[Question #229355]: Disappeared data in webapp after coping db files.

Hello guys.

Yesterday, I had to remove some test graphs from Graphite.
First of all, I've createed backup of /graphite/storage/whisper folder and than just removed some unused files.
For check, I refreshed graphite webapp and there were no data. Treeview was empty. I had no better idea than to copy all files from backup. And I still have no data in web app, in spite of, that all files are present.
Webapp is running under apache and www-data user,
#ls -la /graphite/storage/whisper
drwxr-xr-x 12 www-data www-data 4096 May 14 23:15 stats
drwxr-xr-x  9 www-data www-data 4096 May  6 09:00 stats_counts
drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data www-data 4096 May 20 12:08 statsd
drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data www-data 4096 May 20 12:09 TestRandom
All files have www-data as owner, permissions as on the listing above.

Please, can anyone explain me, why this situation occured with me.
What is the right way to backup and restore whisper data, without loosing it.

Thanks.