[Question #232553]: What is upgrade path from pip to source?

I installed graphite 0.9.10 using pip a few months back, and now would like to transition to an install from source to take advantage of the commits since 0.9.10, but I can't find any hints in the documentation.

Can I update just the webapp, or do I need to keep whisper and carbon in sync?
Do I just backup my existing config files and overlay the latest code?