Re: [Question #223956]: Graphite-Web Refactoring Help Request

Dieter P posted a new comment:
> is there still interest?

hell yeah.

>  carbon layer (...) and expects each series to be an individual file.

that's a whisper (and maybe ceres) implementation detail. not a carbon
design goal or anything.

In case anyone cares, at work I wrote https://github.com/vimeo/carbon-
tagger ; it's a daemon that sits in (y)our carbon pipeline and maintains
a tag database for all metrics flowing through, it can do this because
the metric id's ("names" if you will) contain tag key/value pairs. with
our dashboard (http://vimeo.github.io/graph-explorer/) we can then do
some interesting things based on the tags.

Personally I think metric identifiers should be 100% key/value pairs;
others seem to find it's better to have a dot string with some
associated key/value tags.  Implementing both in graphite-web would
probably get too messy, so maybe it's better to leave that to
specialized dashboards.