[Question #237728]: Unexpected result when changing time period

Hi,

I'm using graphite to plot license utilization. I do this by recording each license check-out and each license check-in. I then subtract (using the built in graphite functions) check-ins from check-outs to get the number of licenses in use for each time point. This works fine if my time period covers all the data:  http://i.imgur.com/UZagV6m.png (last 7 days, there is around ~6 days worth of data). However, if the time period is set to 7 hours then this is the result: http://i.imgur.com/xLN8thO.png .

It looks like the IN's are getting ignored (sometimes) so the subtraction doesn't produce the desired result, and then everything goes back to normal. I'm storing data at 1 minute intervals for 30 days. Data is only given to graphite when a check-in/out occurs, not every minute, so keepLastValue is used. Could this be caused by some weird interaction with keep last value and the way I'm generating my graph?

This is how I generate the graphs:
diffSeries(sumSeries(keepLastValue(VENDOR.TOOL.OUT.*.*)),sumSeries(keepLastValue(VENDOR.TOOL.IN.*.*)))

Thanks for the help.

JV