[Question #238781]: Help me understand the versioning and git structure of graphite-web

The latest release is 0.9.12, which was cut from the 0.9.x branch.
What is the master branch used for?
Master and 0.9.x are significantly different from each other.
If I were to add documentation to the project, which branch should I document?
What branch are future releases going to come from?

This seems like an odd way to use git.
Wouldn't you normally have the master branch with the release code, tagged at different release versions, and then feature branches, or rewrite branches?

This is a bit confusing to a new comer for contributing back to the project. Since it's not documented anywhere (that I can find).
Hopefully this isn't entirely inside baseball.