[Question #240882]: Relay metrics received vs metrics sent

I'm trying to understand the Carbon-generated metrics for the relays. I have a setup with multiple relays receiving metrics from a load balancer. Using aggregated-consistent-hashing the relays then send the metrics to multiple aggregators.

I ran a test in which I keep sending additional metrics to the load balancer. At one point the number of metrics received at the relays exceeds the number of metrics sent to the aggregators. See the image below:

http://tinypic.com/r/15ydyk5/5

What does this mean?

- Are metrics getting dropped by the relays before they are sent to the aggregators?
- Or are the relays sending batches of metrics thus reducing the *sent* metric reported?