[Question #250031]: Metric name appears in webapp but no data.

Hi,

I have installed the latest Graphite-web, Whisper and Carbon from source as described in the documentation.

I am using Riemann to send metrics to Graphite and as far as I can tell that part is working fine. The Whisper files are being created and I can see data inside them when I use whisper-fetch.py.

The metric names show up in the tree on the left in Graphite-web but some of the metrics only ever return 'no data' despite the fact that data exists in the Whisper files.

Examples of metrics are:-

carbon.agents.s612691shvl01_ukslou1_savvis_net-a.avgUpdateTime <-- Graphs work fine
net.savvis.ukslou1.s612691shvl01.riemann.server.udp.0.0.0.0:5555.in.rate <-- Graphs work fine

uk-owls-stg-01.java.lang:type=Memory.NonHeapMemoryUsage.committed <-- only ever returns 'no data'
uk-owls-stg-01.java.lang:type=Memory.HeapMemoryUsage.used <-- only ever returns 'no data'
uk-owls-stg-01.java.lang:name=Code.Cache,type=MemoryPool.Usage.used <-- only ever returns 'no data'

I think the issue is that there are special characters in the metric names.

If I copy a the whisper directory so that:

uk-owls-stg-01.java.lang:type=Memory.HeapMemoryUsage.used

becomes:-

uk-owls-stg-01.a.HeapMemoryUsage.used

then I can see the historical data for 'uk-owls-stg-01.a.HeapMemoryUsage.used' in Graphite-web immediately but obviously because that is not the metric name I'm using to send the data then it never gets updated.

Is there any way to get around this?