Re: querying multiple backends at once, as if they were a single instance

On 2015-02-27 17:25, Jason Dixon wrote:
Grafana doesn't care anything about what your Graphite infrastructure
looks like. Give it the Graphite frontend URL and it will query it, end
of story.

Jason, thank you for your help, I've figured it out. It does work. I'll write a more detailed HOWTO and I'll post it somewhere, but until then these are the basic steps (just in case someone like me is looking for more info):

- setup your local Graphite instances ('backends') in each VPC or network or datacenter
- collect metrics locally on each backend
- make sure the data tree on each backend begins with a different, unique prefix at the root level - setup a special instance, the 'frontend', in a different location, that has access to all Graphite backends - on the frontend edit local_settings.py, and within the CLUSTER_SERVERS variable add the full list of Graphite backends, with hostname and port (it's whatever TCP port is used by the webapp portion of Graphite, maybe 8080, or maybe 80 if you set it up that way) - now check the webapp on the frontend, you should see the data trees from all the backends in it, and it should render the graphs - install Grafana and ElasticSearch on the frontend (or on a yet another instance if you wish), point Grafana at the frontend (Grafana uses the webapp, so you really only need the Graphite webapp on the frontend). That's it. You're done.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/