Re: [Question #227319]: carbon-cache behind F5 BigIp Load Balancer

Jason Antman posted a new comment:
Scott,

My first instinct would be to tell you to check the usual F5 connection
reset stuff. In my experience, they've usually been caused by some sort
of routing issues in the F5... either having a multi-homed host with
traffic coming from the F5 to a NIC other than the default route, or
SNAT issues in the VIP configuration, or the F5 not having a self-IP or
route on the host's subnet.

This thread is 2 years old, and was referring to a version of graphite
that's probably pretty old by now. I don't remember exactly what I did
to solve the connection reset problem, and I can't even find the ticket
for when I did the original work, but I *think* that the "tcp_half_open"
health monitor may have played into it somehow.

We're running this on a LTM 6400 running 10.1.0, and if it'll help,
here's the relevant parts of the config, for HTTP, plain graphite
protocol, and pickle protocol:

pool adm-lane1-mon-graphite-pool_http {
   monitor all http
   members {
      10.188.8.96:http {}
      10.188.8.97:http {}
      10.188.8.99:http {}
   }
}
pool adm-lane1-mon-graphite-pool_pickle {
   min active members 1
   slow ramp time 0
   monitor all tcp_half_open
   members {
      10.188.8.96:mailbox {
         priority 15
      }
      10.188.8.97:mailbox {
         priority 10
      }
      10.188.8.99:mailbox {
         priority 5
      }
   }
}
pool adm-lane1-mon-graphite-pool_plain {
   min active members 1
   slow ramp time 0
   monitor all tcp_half_open
   members {
      10.188.8.96:cfinger {
         priority 15
      }
      10.188.8.97:cfinger {
         priority 10
      }
      10.188.8.99:cfinger {
         priority 5
      }
   }
}

virtual adm-lane1-mon-graphite-vip1_http {
   snat automap
   pool adm-lane1-mon-graphite-pool_http
   destination 10.188.10.33:http
   ip protocol tcp
}
virtual adm-lane1-mon-graphite-vip1_pickle {
   snat automap
   pool adm-lane1-mon-graphite-pool_pickle
   destination 10.188.10.33:mailbox
   ip protocol tcp
}
virtual adm-lane1-mon-graphite-vip1_plain {
   snat automap
   pool adm-lane1-mon-graphite-pool_plain
   destination 10.188.10.33:cfinger
   ip protocol tcp