Re: [Gtg] refactoring in progress

I'm CC'in gtg-contributors since this should be the new list where we
talk about development topics.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently doing a big refactoring on GTG. The work can be seen here :
> https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~gtg/gtg/gtg-refactor
>
> It's now in the state where I think that other people than me can start
> working on it.
>

> This refactoring serves two purposes :
>
> 1) Tag and Tasks should becomes Treenodes object. Datastore and Tagstore
> are now trees that can be used directly by gtk.Treeview, which is very very
> very very interesting from a performance pov and also in order to avoid
> code duplication.
>
> This is currently "working" (in the sense that tasks are now TreeNodes and
> directly displayed.
>
> What need remains to be done :
> 1.a) Tasks handling of childs/parents should be completely delegated to
> TreeNode. No more parent/child handling in the task itself. I plan to do it
> soon.
> 1.b) Make filters working again. As we are not rebuilding the tree
> anymore, we will work with filters. I hope Bertrand can give some hints
> about filters and how they are currently used in GTG

I can have a look at this, or discuss it with you and everyone else
interested. Preferably on IRC since it will be difficult to give a
broad explanation of this stuff.

> 1.c) Rewriting the requester. I will do it once the filters are working.
>
> In the process, I expect lot and lot of code to be dumped. This is a very
> good thing, IMHO.
>

> 2) Because I had stuffs to do in the browser, I already started to split
> the browser into the real browser and a "core/manager.py" that handles all
> GTG windows. This is already working with a couple of FIXME in the manager
> code that are still handled in the browser.

That's great, having a browser too tightly coupled to the data
handling was a big concern for me! I'm a bit surprised tough to see
code from core to handle windows and thus being gtk-specific, I
suppose.