Re: Refactorisation progress : an indicible truth?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Good news first:
>
> My refactorisation did a huge step today by removing a huge performance
> lock. It doesn't mean that we don't have to optimize anymore but that
> this refactorisation will improve **a lot** the performances of GTG.

Yes, it seems gtg starts up quite much faster than before!

> Bad news:
>
> I discovered that our tagtree, that I didn't want to touch, was, in
> facto, completely broken. I mean, even the basic asumption in it were
> completely wrong (the get_path method was always giving an invalid
> path). I don't explain how but this remained hidden because of the way
> tasks were slowly added. With the refactorisation, it became apparent,
> thus more work for me.
>
> I also discovered that the browser was even more the heart of the
> application than previously thought. Did you know that the browser was
> responsible to inform tagstore and taskstore were tags and tasks were
> modified ? That tags were created in the browser ? That all filtering
> logic was in the browser.

I suggest you mark the problematic methods with a special comment,
like #FIXME or #REFACTOR. I saw you already did this on some, it's a
good idea to continue.

> Instead of having a frontend showing a backend state, we had a frontend
> controlling a backend and displaying what it wanted.
>

> Conclusion:
>
> Each time I'm solving something, I discover something else, it makes
> progress really slow :-(

If you want some help, we could provide it, but you need to describe
what precise problems must be solved, otherwise it's hard to jump in.