Re: Data model revisions

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Paul Natsuo Kishimoto
<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just dumped my follow-up analysis of the GTG data model on l.g.o:
>
>              http://live.gnome.org/gtg/DataModel/Analysis
>
> For those who didn't catch it, this follows on the comparison with other
> tools & models, which you can also find from:
>
>                  http://live.gnome.org/gtg/DataModel
>
>  To summarize, I considered ten potential changes to the model that
> would bring it more in line with other tools. In the end, I came up with
> three key changes:
>
>     1. Add an (optional) priority field.
>     2. Add an (optional) duration field.
>     3. Remove the task ID field.
>
> #1 and #2 will let GTG be even more helpful to the user in choosing
> items from the Work View. Because they would be optional, they can be
> added quickly and implemented in the UI afterwards.
>
> #3 is because the task ID and UUID, from all I can tell, do the same
> thing.
I've inserted the UUID because the ID was not unique in GTG 0.2.X, and
that made writing the RTM plugin more complex.
We can remove the uuid without problems, since it's only used in the
rtm plugin. In fact, I'm changing task ids to be unique in my
"backends" work (and the rtm plugin is being retired anyway).

A small note: each task has its own task id, but also holds the id
that represents the same task in other backends. It fits your model,
it's just a generalization of the concept of "id".