Fwd: Re: free interaction design submission : Getting Things GNOME!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: free interaction design submission : Getting Things GNOME!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:10:06 -0400
From: Matthew Jadud <mjadud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Lionel,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:57, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gtg is now quite mature, popular (in the 10 recommandeds applications
for
> Ubuntu), packaged for most Linux distribution and with a very active
> community.

That sounds excellent. I'm personally familiar with GTD, and GTG looks
like an excellent candidate.

We're going to be starting the semester next week, and my rough plan
is as follows:

1. The students will do a rapid pass through the design and testing
process on a website project.

2. While rapidly touring the breadth of UI design and testing, we'll
learn about interacting with communities via IRC, blogs, mailing
lists, bug trackers, wikis, and the like.

3. My expectation is that they will look at the available projects and
begin approaching the communities/projects they're most interested in
working with by mid-to-late September, and we will then use the
remainder of the semester to focus in on software UIs.

While I have taught this kind of course before, it is the first time
I've experimented with putting it in the context of a living, open
source project. That said, I want to be clear: I'm well aware of how
open source software development works, and the students will be, too.
We do not believe our contributions will *necessarily* result in
changes in your project. We only ask for the opportunity to work in a
community context where the students' explorations will not come as a
surprise, and their work will be given a bit of consideration along
the way. And who knows: they might decide to keep working on the
project past the end of the term, which I would consider a win for all
involved!

My most sincere thanks. I'll drop a note in about a week's time
pointing you at the (hopefully up-to-date) course website, and let you
know how we're getting on.

Cheers,
Matt

Follow ups