Re: Questions about User Stories

Hi Alex,

> (1) I have to admit, that i can't say much about the backend-related user
> stroys, but i think most of them wouldn't  pass acceptance tests.
> (2) + (3) Definitly! The current user storys are a bit insufficient. What
> do you think about a persona approach? We could create 2 or 3 different
> personas and split their needs and requirements down to simple tasks.
>
> A simplified Example:
>
> 1. Greg (experienced user) is in a hurry and wants to add a task with 3
> Tags, before he leaves the house.
> 2. Bob (inexperienced user)  is in a hurry and wants to add a task with 3
> Tags, before he leaves the house.

I think it might be really useful for us to approach it using use cases
instead of user stories. This is basically why I asked. I don't know the
approach of the gtg team very well, but I know that GNOME design team seems
to generally approach redesigns using use cases (just my impression from
hanging out on IRC, watching them work, etc). I think it would be cool to
go through the code (I'm thinking the Tests would be a great place to
start) and to define some use cases based on the functionality that is
tested in them, and then also see what we can come up with as users
ourselves. I feel like gtg could benefit from a good analysis of potential
functionality, so we can simplify the interface as much as possible.

> How would they solve this, and what would they do differently? While Greg
> (he probably knows the synthax) will use the Quick Entry Toolbar and type
> "Task @Tag1 @Tag2 @Tag3", Bob has to create an all new task, because the
> only way he knows to insert tags is by clicking the "add-tag" button in a
> open task. And so on...
>

> While I'm at it: You may have noticed, that i also engage in the redesign
> of the GTG UI (currently mostly on the visal design). I have an idea how we
> could work on this together.

I have noticed! They look great! I saw that you sent an email to this list,
and I wanted to respond, but unfortunately I wasn't signed up yet so I
didn't get it.

One suggestion I have is looking at gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
<http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme-symbolic/>for the icons you
use. If you look at Documents, for example, you can see that the icons are
in this style --they look nice with the new style of application (My
Outreach Program for Women Internship was working on the symbolic set :).

> I will finish my design and try to fit the UI with the Gnome 3 HIG
> requirements. When I'm finished, we could evaluate the design based on the
> personas/user storys and eliminate possible usability flaws.

Sounds good! The new HIG is very much in process. If you have questions,
you can ping Allan Day (aday on IRC in #gnome-design).

Welcome to the community! Really nice to meet you :)

Meg