Re: GTG Redesign

Hi Alex!

We were talking yesterday in IRC about looking at the core functions of gtg
so that we can come up with use cases, since it might help us to answer
some of the awesome questions you are asking. I mentioned that sometimes I
am really confused by the different views in the UI. Even though the are
supposed to just filter which tasks I see, sometimes I can't add subtasks
because they make the tasks disappear, or other tragedies occur!

> I made a few new mockups, but i think i'm stuck at a point on which i need
> a bit feedback, to move forward with other aspects of the applicaton, so i
> have a few questions for you:
>
> - Is everyone ok with the colors?

On #gnome-hackers yesterday I heard part of a conversation about color in
themes in GNOME. Benjamin Otte, who is one of the GKT maintainers, was
talking about this conversation: l
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2012-January/msg00016.html

I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but it sounded like color might
be limited right now, so we (or you if you are willing to take it on)
should look into this before we make firm plans about the color. Does that
make sense?

- Is everyone ok with the arrangement and wording of the primary toolbar
> filters? (1)
> - do you think the sidebar should contain anything besides the tags?
> - what do you think about the idea of having two buttons in the upper
> right corner to toggle between a small list view and a task view? (2)

Lets' talk about these things moving forward if that is OK. I really like
your approach to the toolbars, especially. There might be more iterations
further down the line (are you OK with doing a lot of versions? I kind of
hated it when I was working a lot on icons, but in the end I learned a lot
from rethinking my ideas ad really having a design I was satisfied with.)

Also, I wanted to ask you if you might be willing to do wire frames based
on the use cases. It would be really helpful to me, and then we can start
basic and add the detailed ideas that you have.

- should we stick with the 'empty-task-approach?

Which part is this?

- what do you think of the task design? (3)

This is my favorite part. I think you've really thought this through, and
it''s a big improvement over the existing design.

> BTW: I didn't find a proper gnome symbolic icon for "expand/collapse", any
> suggestions?

I think it might be a gtk widget in Glade? The symbol I see in Documents
looks like go-previous-symbolic (circled in red in attached screenshot, let
me know if you can't open it for some reason), but I'll ask Cosimo what
he's using.  I think we have a document-new-symbolic icon in progress, too
(although there was some debate about using the "+" symbol for new in that
context). I'll see if I can get it included so we can use it for new-task.

Great work here! Let's try to set up an IRC meeting soon!

TTYL,

Meg