Re: Explanation on the concept of subtasks

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:10, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The fact that GTG is abused is not bad at all. Users are free to
> choose their own way of working, of course.
>
> But I think that it is the case because we didn't find a good way to
> represent things.
>
> GTG should reinforce this idea of "prerequisite" instead of
> "subtasks". GTG should also try to enforce the fact that a task is an
> action that needs to be done. I've realized that most of the tasks I'm
> procrastinating on are because they are not describe as an action.
> Like "Kitchen sink" instead of "call the plumber".

How about we start with renaming the concept of Subtasks into "Pre-task"?
It's not a word you'll find in any dictionary (yet), but it seems to be
known and used concept specially in language learning field, and even in
other task management<http://www.taskmanagementguide.com/setting-tasks/pre-task-plan-will-help-reach-a-safe-and-productive-work-environment.php>apps.
And a least to me it feels closer to the concept of the
"prerequisite" then the word "Subtask"...

Another suggestion would be to rethink the name of the "Workview" (not
completely intuitive) as a placeholder for "actionable" task. Granted
"actionable" is a known word that can be found in dictionaries, but is not
very frequent. Let's try thinking more in the line of something
straightforward like:

   - Ready to do now:
   - Ready for action:
   - Do it now!
   - Do-right-now list:
   - Do-it-now list:

If I wasn't an anti Nike fan, I would add "Just do it!" to the list, but
you get the picture... :)

Cheers,
Radina