Re: [Merge] lp:~gtg-contributors/gtg/bugfix-629683 into lp:gtg

Thanks for the remarks Izidor, I'll try to include most of them. I answered
in the text.

First as a general note, I think it's important to make it clear that those
tutorial tasks are not meant to tell everything about GTG. The goal is to
get a first insight on how GTG works. So when I edited those tasks, I
didn't try to cover everything, hence there are some aspects lacking on
purpose.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Izidor Matušov <izidor.matusov@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Review: Approve code, running
>
> I suggest that this is the final patch for the bug and afterwards it will
> be marked as fixed. In other words, nitpicking is appropriate :)
>
> You sometimes use normal quotes instead of xml entity &quot;, e.g. "save"
> button. We should stick to a consistent style. Foot note: normal quotes
> works in the same way as xml entity &quot; Maybe use normal quotes?

&quot; was used when I edited the tasks. Maybe I forgot to convert some. To
guarantee 100% compatibility with XML, I'll stick to &quot;

> I think we should promote our blog http://gtg.fritalk.com as well in
> initial tutorial. (after link to launchpad) Something like "If you want to
> get tips for using GTG or be informed about the newest features, visit our
> blog at http://gtg.fritalk.com";

Ok, I agree.

> "Sometimes it is easier to cut down a task in several smaller tasks. GTG
> helps to do just this by defining "subtasks". In GTG, those subtasks are
> prerequisite that must be completed before being able to close their parent
> task."
>
> If I recall correctly, the correct definition of subtasks in GTG is more
> about prerequisites than a smaller tasks which happens to have the same
> parent. <this is more brainstorming than nitpicking>

Yes, but the general idea is to define "smaller" (a.k.a. more operational
tasks) to help you actually progress in your work and in that definition,
smaller tasks are actually prerequisites to a bigger tasks. I could put
more emphasis on that nuance in the text (but the idea here is not to teach
people how to organize themselve, it's not GTG's purpose).

> "Note that subtasks obey to some rules: first, a subtask's due date can
> never be happen after its parent's due date and, second, when you mark a
> parent task as done, its subtasks will also be marked as done."
>
> <brainstorming>There is no mention for the rule start_date <
> due_date.</brainstorming>

I'm not sure I will make that explicit. It's kind of obvious, or at least
it could be easily understood by someone experiencing the effect of the
rule.

> I would also formulate when you close a parent task, its subtasks will be
> closed as well" (It is true for dismissing or deleting tasks)

I think it's explained somewhere, but I'll check. This must be clear,
indeed.

The tasks that you marked as done or dismissed are stored in the Closed
> Tasks Pane which is hidden by default, but you can easily enable it using
> the View menu.
>
> <brainstorming>Use instead exact menu path? View -> Closed tasks
> pane</brainstorming>

I think I'll pass on that one, I prefer not using a complex syntax.

> " Here are other stuff you will find interesting to read:"
>
> It sounds strange to me although I am not a native speaker. Maybe "There
> is other stuff you will find interesting to read" or even "There is even
> more to discover:"

It doesn't strike as much, but I can change it in: "If you are interested,
you will find more information about other useful GTG functionalities here:"

> "If you right click on a tag in the sidebar you can also set its color. It
> will allow you to have a more colorful list of tasks, if you want it that
> way."
>
> <brainstorming>We should propagate your awesome tag editor. What do you
> say?</brainstorming>

No, I don't think we need self-promotion.

> Could you please use suggestions from bug #615027? Better suggest the new
> user tags for keeping "hierarchy"

There is already some words about that, I think. Maybe I'll put more
emphasis on this, but I don't want to insist too much on it. I don't want
to suggest a specific use. I don't think GTG has to be used with a
hierarchy of tags to be useful (most of the time I don't need it,
personally).

> There is a missing condition in WorkView to hide a task: set due date to
> "someday" to hide ideas which needs more thoughts

Ok

> "If you use tags, you can right click on a tag in the sidebar and choose
> to hide tasks assigned to this particular tag in the workview. It's very
> useful if you have a tag like "someday" that you use for tasks you would
> like to do but are not particularly urgent."
>
> This paragraph could be updated to use another example, e.g. @wait when
> you wait for a response from your teammate.

Indeed, I'll update it.

> It might help to stress that tasks are hidden immediately, i.e. when you
> drag-and-drop a subtask to another task, the parent is hidden. Or when you
> trigger another condition. We should prepare user for that "wow" effect
> when tasks are hidden in real time and suggest turning off Workview when
> planing for a next week or so.

You're right. It's a really important issue.

> "Some examples of the current plugins are synchronization with online
> services like Remember the Milk and Evolution, Tomboy/Gnote integration and
> Geolocalized Tasks."
>
> Those examples should be  changed. Remember the Milk is not plugin anymore
> and it might or might not be included in release, Evolution and
> Geolocalized Tasks are blocked by Porting GTG to GTK3. What about "export
> and print" plugin, "Old task remover", "Hamster" (the hamster plugin
> doesn't work 100% atm)

Ok, I'll try to find a more relevant  example.

> "You can find the Plugin Manager by selecting Edit in the Menu Bar, then
> clicking Preferences. You will then see a tab labeled Plugins."
>
> Path to the plugin manager was changed.

Indeed, I'll update that.

> There should be added a section on syn. services based on Radina's userdoc.

Ok.

> There should be also a section on search/smart tags - see bug #1026264

Ok.

> "GTG is still very alpha software. We like it and use it everyday but you
> will encounter some bugs."
>
> I would say GTG is not alpha anymore, maybe beta ;) The link to reporting
> bug should be directly https://bugs.launchpad.net/gtg/+filebug - when you
> write summary, it suggests you potential duplicates.

I'd say beta, then. There are still too many glitches in the UI, editor and
such to consider it mature software.

> Could you make GTG/core/firstrun_tasks.py PEP8 and pylint compatible? It
> would mean mainly reformanting the whole file to fit 79-character width
> limit.

Ok.

--
Bertrand Rousseau

https://code.launchpad.net/~gtg-contributors/gtg/bugfix-629683/+merge/115353
Your team Gtg contributors is subscribed to branch lp:~gtg-contributors/gtg/bugfix-629683.