(Partially) Migrating from Launchpad to Github

Hi,

after careful consideration, Nimit, Parin and I decided to do partial
migration from Launchpad to Github.

Back in 2008 when Lionel and Bertrand founded GTG, Launchpad was the best
code hosting with many features ahead its time. It was the best tool
available.

Over the years, Launchpad  was overtaken by Github in many ways:

- Github has much faster website
- Github has bigger community
- Github has many free tools for open source projects, e.g. Travis,
Coveralls, Transifex, readthedocs
- Git got much more popular than bzr (plus has different approach towards
project history)
- Code reviews are easier on Github, e.g. you can do inline commenting
- Nice integration between issues and pull requests (a.k.a merge request in
Launchpad)

Plus many small details.

Over the next couple weeks, we are going to migrate all important branches
over GTG github account: https://github.com/getting-things-gnome

We are taking the opportunity for triaging and migrating GTG issues to
Github issues. While doing that, we can reconsider what is reallistic for
GTG to accomplish and what is out of the project roadmap/available
resources. It is time to close those old bugs from 2009 that nobody touched
ever since.

Do we leave Launchpad completely? No. Launchpad is still the best service
for serving PPA. We keep PPAs without changes.

Please, start using our Github account for new contributions. If you would
like to contribute to GTG, drop me line with your github user name and I'll
add you as GTG contributor.

Izidor

Follow ups