gtg-gsoc team mailing list archive

Getting things GNOME! Web service and API: Weekly Report 03.

Hello summer coders!

this is my third weekly report, available here:
http://karlojez.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/getting-things-gnome-web-service-weekly-report-3/(with
a screenshot! :))

"As you may not know, the web service I’m working on is not only a web
server, it’s also a dbus client. That means that it is useless on its own,
it has to be used with a GTG dbus provider. Until this week, I’ve been using
a recent trunk version of Getting Things GNOME! with a modified dbus api,
but that got overly complicated with adding new features to the web
interface. Because of that I reworked the innards of the fake server that I
made in the beginning, and it’s actually useful now.

Better dummy dbus server allowed me to make the web interface
multiuser-friendly. Now each user has its own tasks. This is done by using
the new dbus parameter "user", which was easy to implement with a fake
server and will take time to do with the real GTG.

Another new feature is changing task statuses, creating and editing tasks.
For now new tasks can only be roots in the task tree. Once proper text
parsing is in place, we will be able to make task trees just as easily as in
desktop GTG.

For next week, I hope I will do the following:
* start working on task text parsing, so that it will be possible to mark
tasks with tags and to make task trees.
* start working on the REST API.
* enable user registration, so the django admin interface is no longer
needed

If you want to test it and play with it, the instructions are on project’s
[portfolio] page . Have fun, it’s buggy!

Thanks for reading; have a nice day!"

[portfolio] http://live.gnome.org/action/edit/SummerOfCode2010/KarloJez_GTG