codecheck.sh, pylint & PEP 8

Hello all,

When running ./scripts/codecheck.sh on a clean copy of trunk, I get a
lot of warnings. This makes it a little bit harder for me to figure
out whether a patch I write is actually bad. It would be really,
really nice if there were zero warnings when running on trunk.

If you think having zero warnings on trunk is a good idea, I'm happy
to help make it happen. Here's how I would do it:

  * Configure pylint to only check for formatting issues, or ditch it
in favor of pep8.py
    In my experience, the only things that pylint catches that
pyflakes doesn't are things that no one cares about.

  * Start fixing the warnings that are left over, one patch at a time.

  * Put something in the contributor docs saying that new code should
be PEP 8[1] compliant.
    A nice thing about using PEP 8 is that it's easier for people who
work on other Python projects to contribute.

  * (Possibly) Set up a tarmac[2] instance for automated landings such
that patches that increase the number of warnings are rejected.

I realize I'm very new to GTG, so I'll understand if this proposal
were to be rejected. However, if you think it's a good idea, I'm happy
to do the work.

jml

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
[2] https://launchpad.net/tarmac