Re: parent task in work view and sequential subtasks

Hi,

Thank you for the elaborate answer!
Finally I found some time to prepare small mockups of what I had in mind.
>> 1. Subtasks shown in the work view should also indicate the parent task.
>> [...]
>
> This is higly related to https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/gtg/+bug/316922

This bug with the idea of the nautilus spacial mode is nice but requires
two clicks to get a list of all parents...
> Your idea is good but it raises some questions : what when a task is the
> child of a child? How to make that easy and intuitive in the UI?
>
> If you have some ideas, it would help a lot to have some mockups and
> description of related workflows.

My suggestions for the workview (example task hirarchy is attached
(gtg_taskbrowser.png)):

1. I could imagine something along the lines of the tag indication in
delicious.
I'm not sure how well this scales with long task descriptions though.
Therefore I think it would be nice to have a way to give short names to
(parent) tasks. In my example this is indicated by "[short_desc]" in the
task description, but a separate keyword would be better imo.
(gtg_workview_selected_longdesc.png vs gtg_workview_all.png). One could
show the parents of all tasks (that have a parent) or only the parents
of the currently selected one (gtg_workview_selected.png and
gtg_workview_all.png).

2. A separate tree view for selected task (gtg_workview_tree.png).
I don't like this very much, since it clutters the interface more
(especially with activated closed task pane), but maybe you like that idea.

>> 2. Sequential tasks
>>
>> [...]
>>

> So, pointing out the problem is easy. We all did. Finding and implementing
> a solution is not. In this particular case, we deliberately choosed to
> *NOT* provide a good solution because every solution we can think of was
> worst than the actual solution. So if you have a solution, please share it
> with us but take the time to really describe the solution with all the
> details for yourself before. I'm sure you will quickly understand why it
> is so difficult ;-)
Thank you for pointing out how one can do it and although it is
cumbersome, it works well. That one can mimic the desired behaviour with
nested tasks is already a great.
The problem is, that nested sublist do not represent sequential tasks
well, because, as you pointed out, the order is reversed in the task
browser. However, the UI could be (easily?) extended to allow for the
*input* of even mixed (sequential and non sequential) tasks with nested
(enumerated) lists, like this

1. make cake
    1. get ingredients
       - buy eggs
       - buy flour
       - buy strawberries
       - buy butter
    2. prepare the dough
    3. preheat the oven
2. invite friends for coffee and cake

How to *represent this internally* is beyond my understanding. But for
the UI it will require a proper ordering for sequential tasks in the
task browser that cannot be modified by drag&drop.

> Once you don't see any remaining problem, share that
> with us :-D
>From the user perspective I don't see any problems with the above idea.
I'm pretty sure, that from the developer point of view there are plenty
of problems I don't see and am unable to point them out.

Thank you again for your efforts!

Thomas

PNG image

PNG image