Re: Adapting GTG to a custom workflow

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Tomasz Melcer <liori@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For a week I tried to use GTG to organize my projects. Overally I feel
> it helped me much, but still I have to find ways to apply some of my
> work habits to GTG.

I'm no expert, but since this is a mailing list I'm free to answer.

Thanks in advance for the review !

> Task requirements. Some tasks can only be done in specific places, like
> home or work. Other need specific facilities, like access to the
> Internet. Work view is a good idea, but it shows too much things for me.
> My solution for that is to make tags like @home, @work, @shop,
> @shop:grocery (subtag of @shop), @net (all things that need access to
> the Internet), @person:john_smith (subtag of @net, because I can contact
> him by email). But I still have some issues:
> * How to check which tasks can be done when being at home and having
> connection to the Internet? (@home, @net) I can browse through tags, but
> I'd like to simply see everything possible in one place.

Search ? RTM has smartlists for this, which are just saved search queries.
If the feature isn't there yet, you can add a feature request or implement
it yourself.

Give it 2 tags: @home and @net

> * How to identify things that don't have any of these tags (but might
> have other tags, like related to projects they belong to)? I.e. a task
> might already have a tag @journey_to_Japan, so it wont be visible in the
> category "Tasks without tags".

Strange example, why tag something with @journey_to_Japan ?

If you use the @ prefix for context, you shouldn't use it to tag projects.
Why not use the # prefix ? Then you can get a project list by searching for
# or by sorting the tags alphabetically.

> Task templates. I run a series of lectures at my university. For each
> lecture I need to do a (fixed) set of tasks, there's almost 40 of them
> (http://files.exroot.org/dump/tasks.png) with a complex dependency
> relations. This set of tasks needs to be repeated for each lecture. I
> don't want to reenter all the tasks by hand each time. To solve this
> problem I wrote a simple python script to import a set of tasks from a
> custom text format. A better solution would be to firstly prepare a
> "template" inside GTG, then make a deep copy of it -- a good idea for a
> plugin, I guess. Is there another way to do this?

Seems like a good workaround, and perhaps it can be converted into a plugin
already, and then extended  later ?

> Projects and tasks. My projects usually contain one or more tasks and a
> repository of data (documents, links). Going from a task to its project
> repository should be easy... but now it would involve making a link from
> each task by hand.

There's no "list" concept, which I miss as well. But I think that's on the
roadmap.

> Task names. My tasks are often very similar across different projects.
> For example I might need to make a reservation for a room for two
> different lectures. Now to distinguish both tasks I would have to place
> a project's name (in this case, a lecture name) into tasks' titles, but
> I often forget about that when creating tasks. From what I see, to
> identify which project a given task belongs to, I always need to place
> project's name into the task title. I don't want to use tags for that,
> because I use them now for task requirements (if I started doing so, I'd
> lose the possibility to list all tasks without requirements).

A list concept would help, but you can also use tag prefixes, like the ~
prefix for task requirements...

> Tomasz Melcer

Tom Van Braeckel