Re: Adding dependency for gtg

(sorry for the double mail Luca. I always forget to use reply all)

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Luca Invernizzi <invernizzi.l@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Uhm, I just pushed the code to trunk.  I believe that the benefit of
> having the possibility to export the list in any way you want overcomes
> the downside of the added dependency. This is a feature that the other
> task editors do not have.

Sure, but this feature doesn't require a full-blown templating system IMHO.
Users could as well create python-based code generators, we could just agree
on what data structure is passed, that wouldn't be a lot harder to do.
Creating such code generator is not complex. I've already done many times to
generate simple to complex files.

> Just try it. If you don't like it, I'll remove it.

Well, I certainly think your export feature is awesome. I could try it some
hours ago, and it sure adds a great potential to GTG (we are clearly in need
of an export feature). But for me it's not worth an added dependency.
Besides, as 0.2 is now a matter of days, I don't think it is wise to add a
new dependency now, since that should be more extensively discussed to
assess its advantages and inconveniences. So I'm personally more in favor of
introducing a simple python-based templating system for 0.2, and not
cheetah.